An aromatherapy room spray sold at Walmart may be linked to four cases of a highly uncommon bacterial infection that’s rarely seen in the United States.
The cases, diagnosed this year, were identified in Georgia, Kansas, Minnesota and Texas. Two of the people, including a child, have died.
On Friday, the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced that Walmart, which sold the product, “Better Homes & Gardens Lavender & Chamomile Essential Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstone,” is recalling nearly 4,000 bottles.
That product, discovered in the home in one of the four patients, was found to be contaminated with potentially deadly bacteria called Burkholderia pseudomallei.
Federal health officials are now testing products found in the homes of the other three patients.
Patty Davis, a CPSC spokesperson, said the agency is extremely concerned about the potential for further, potentially dangerous, bacterial exposure.
“CPSC immediately reached out to Walmart to work with the company to get this product out of consumers hands,” Davis said. “We want to prevent anyone else from being sickened or from dying.”
Burkholderia pseudomallei bacteria are usually never found in household products, at least in the U.S.
Such bacteria are most commonly found in contaminated water or soil in southeast Asia or northern Australia. On average, about a dozen cases tend to be diagnosed in the U.S. each year, usually among people who had traveled overseas.
But four cases in a matter of months in 2021, particularly those who never traveled outside of the country, caught the attention of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
When investigators took water and soil samples from each of the patients’ homes, they turned up nothing.
That’s when the team refocused the search for the source to imported products used inside the home, eventually identifying the bacteria in the aromatherapy spray in the Georgia patient’s home on October 6.
The CDC investigators established that the other patients also owned the aromatherapy spray, and now the agency is testing those products to see if the genetic fingerprint of the bacteria matches.
The bacteria were found in the lavender and chamomile version of the spray, but the CPSC and Walmart are also recalling five other scents in the same product line. The product was sold at about 55 Walmart stores and on Walmart’s website, according to the CPSC.