Private healthcare insurance offers fantastic benefits to members. Not only does it provide healthcare and health services quicker, they also offer specialist treatments for a wider range of conditions and care requirements. What types of healthcare insurance are there and are there affordable options?
Read reviews of private healthcare insurance providers to find which plans offer cheap insurance, how to go about selecting the best ones for you, and what are their levels of care. Platforms such as Reviews Bird are a platform for real-world customers to share their experiences and insights so that other people can make better-informed decisions.
Private healthcare insurance means that you will be paying for your medical and healthcare treatments. Depending on your level of cover, it will pay for your hospitalization and treatments if you fall ill or are involved in an accident. While the United Kingdom’s National Health Service (NHS) is free for all residents of the United Kingdom, private healthcare does provide quicker treatment and that is one of the major motivators for people to buy private healthcare insurance coverage.
Depending on your age, budget, and healthcare needs, you can choose a private healthcare
insurance cover. There are four main types to choose from, and they’re all suitable for different types of people and needs. These types of policies are:
- Individual healthcare insurance covers one person for their healthcare treatments
- Joint healthcare insurance covers you and your partner’s healthcare needs
- Family healthcare insurance coverage is for you, your partner and your children
- Children’s health insurance protection is a cover for your children only
It is important to know before you sign up for any private healthcare insurance policies exactly what they cover and what they don’t cover. It works similarly to vehicle and household insurance in that you can purchase additional coverage to tailor your healthcare policy to exactly what you need – and you can thereby reduce the monthly or yearly premiums to make it more affordable for you and your family.
The general private healthcare insurance policies cover you for the following situations:
- hospitalization for surgery or accident and treatments as an out-patient
- medical consultations and diagnosis treatments as a day-patient
- regular doctor appointments and treatments at a doctor’s office or clinic or hospital
These policies will treat you for all general healthcare procedures such as illnesses, injuries and surgeries, as well as access to post-care treatments such as physiotherapy. To keep your medical care premiums as low as possible, it is good to know that even though you have private medical protection, you can still turn to the NHS for larger and more costly treatments as a UK resident.
Some policies have many exclusions and limits of coverage. Read up on those for each policy you consider to buy. The exclusions and limits of coverage are generally listed:
- pre-existing conditions are not covered
- cancer treatments are required as additional covers or not offered by your healthcare insurance provider
- chronic conditions and pre-existing chronic conditions.