When you are getting a breast augmentation, you wouldn’t think that you would be getting them removed. Replacing them every 10-15 years is normal, but many women decide to have them removed after the 15 year mark. The reason for doing this can be varied such as lifestyle changes, complications from the surgery such as capsular contracture. In this article we will go through what to expect with a breast implant removal procedure.
What Is A Breast Implant Removal
Breast implant removal surgery is a procedure that reverses the breast augmentation surgery. It removes the breast implants from the pockets or they revise the shape and size, which is basically a breast implant replacement as this will re-implement newer implants. Whether you want to get them removed or replaced, you will need another procedure after your initial augmentation. The procedures will include:
- Remove the implants and replace them with new
- Reposition existing implants for a better shape
- Remove the implants completely without a replacement
This doesn’t happen that often, but if you had complications with the implants like capsular contracture, it is likely that the doctors will want to remove the implants. Other reasons breast implants get removed include:
- A Buildup of Calcium
- Infection and/or Bleeding
- Necrosis or the development of dead tissue around the implants
Who Is Breast Implant Removal Surgery For?
There are some common reasons that people get breast implants removed. Here are some of the most common reasons why implants get removed.
- Implant Complications: Breast implant complications include raptures, folding and deflation if made from saline solution.
- Personal Choice: Some women decide that their lifestyle doesn’t require them, others feel that their shape and size have deformed over time. They can even get misshapen from weight loss, weight gain and pregnancies.
- Other Complications: Leakage of saline implants, capsular contracture, displacement,
- Infection and tension band asymmetry.
What Happens During Breast Implant Removal Surgery?
The first thing to know is that when getting your implant removed, you will be put under general anaesthetic and the procedure will take up to 3 hours. You may also be able to go home the same day, pending on how your recovery goes. There are three main techniques for the surgery.
Breast Implant Removal Only
An incision is made, usually the same place as the first procedure to reduce scarring and the implant is removed. If you are suffering from capsular contracture, then the surgeon will also remove the hardened capsule to aid healing.
Breast Implant Removal With A Breast Lift
If the breast skin has been stretched or is sagging, then the surgeon may provide a breast lift. This will remove the excess skin and tighten the tissue to provide better support. Sometimes, the surgeon may resize the areola so that they don’t look out of place with the amended breasts.
If the breast implants are saline, then it is a possibility that the surgeon may deflat the breasts under general anaesthesia in the office without surgery. If the breasts … Read More..